4/6/16

Being a Leader


I'm quite sure most people will think that being a leader is fantastic. You will be the top of organization, the chairman of society, and so on. You can rule everything and ask your subordinate to run for errand anytime you want. Moreover, being a leader in a corporation/enterprise means you will earn a wonderful number of money. Well, that thought is not false, but we, sometimes, forget the risk of being a leader.

I think a leader means someone who should take care of  talk and behavior, because leaders are always a cynosure in the organization. All subordinates and people, either inside or outside the office, will look at them, or even, take a big attention into them. Hence, leaders can't act as free as they want. They have to behave. One mistake means they will be untrusted anymore or at least their performance will be decreased among his subordinates.

It's different with the ordinary staffs or subordinates. One mistake doesn't mean something in long term. Cut the wage in specific rate and it's done. Unless, the mistake is severely fatal like stealing, corrupting, or murdering (okay, those are too much). When subordinates misspeak or tell something erroneous, it won't be remembered by anyone. It's just a small mistake and it will be gone soon.

The condition is very harmful when that is happened by leaders. Something, that they misspeak and unpredictably it turns out to hurt someone, will be remembered for a long time. Yeah, once again, because leaders are a cynosure, a lot of people rely on and trust to them, and as a top of structure, they should maintain the good relationship to everyone otherwise everyone will hate them because untrustworthy and considered annoying.

So, being a leader is not such a fun and not easy either. Realizing that many people rely on and trust to a leader is kind of discomfort thing.

Actually, I have a story with my leader that hurt me a lil bit. On that day, I was ordered by my director to go out town as outstation duty. But when I asked about my cost cover to my leader who manages budgeting affair, I fell to disappointment. I was shocked when my leader said that my trip hadn't be budgeted yet and suggested me to ask some money to my parents. I was totally speechless, deep in my heart seemed like I wanted to cry. In my age, asking me to ask money to my parents is so wicked. I really have no idea why my leader ever thought about that.

Well, later I realized that she had a lot of tasks and pursued by many target to be done soon. I can understand but, unfortunately, I can't forget that moment till now.

I don't mean to vilify her. No, I really don't. She is a good leader anyway and she does her job very well in organization. Nay, eventually my budget trip has been arranged already and she has coordinated to my director and my deputy about that (Thank you, Madam!). All I want to say is what a leader says is a prone thing. I believe my leader didn't want to tell that. She was drowned in a lot of job and maybe she didn't have much time to think mine. But, still, saying wrong words is not acceptable.

Or, maybe I was just too sensitive then.

Well...

But, I do agree that being a leader is a pride. Especially, when we as a leader can drive the people in the right way, can satisfy them well, and people always feel helped with our decision. That is an ultimate contentment of being a leader. Also, don't be naive, reward for being a leader is very magnificent.

My prophet Muhammad PBUH during his life always gave the example that being a leader is a mandate (amanah). It's not only about the position but also the responsibility to many people. It's a bless and burden at the same time. People trust to leaders and they never want to be disappointed at all.

However, someday I want to be a leader. I want to implement what I've learned and I've got in my work, spreading out my worthwhile influence to many people. Once again, being a leader is not easy, but it's one of many targets in our life that we should achieve. At least, being the leader in small family, lead my own wife and children. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We highly appreciate your opinion!
Terima kasih atas komentarnya!